Leslie Riggs wrote:
How hard was it to caption, Patrick? Is it real time-consuming? Would it be something doable for each of the presentations that are filmed?

I'm not the quickest typist in the world, and in parts the audio was a tad hard to understand, but it took me about 20-25 minutes to make the initial transcript,; an hour to turn the transcript into a proper QText file with individual timings (that file is linked straight from the video page as well, under the "related files" bit), and another hour just to fiddle around tweaking the timecodes and to get SMIL to display just the way I wanted it (this would now be cut down to far less, as the majority of that time was spent experimenting with settings etc)

So, around 2 1/2 hours for 7 1/2 minutes of video. If I were to do these more often, the time would probably drop considerably due to practice. Also, I simply used Quicktime player and notepad - using more dedicated software would again cut the time down (I did try to install Magpie, but something in my settings wasn't quite right and it wouldn't run on my machine http://ncam.wgbh.org/webaccess/magpie/ )

Patrick H. Lauke
http://redux.deviantart.com