On 22 nov 2004, at 23.00, Ted Drake wrote:

If you are doing a web site and you only have sporadic use of turkish characters, can't you wrap that text in a div and assign it a language? I haven't done this before so I'm asking not suggesting. But I thought that I have seen that as a semantic way to show that there will be languages other than the native on a page. Now, is there also a way to designate the character encoding on a div or span?

Language, yes. You can use the lang attribute [1] to specify the language of any HTML element. Character encoding, no. That is set once for the whole document.

[1] < http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/struct/dirlang.html#adef-lang >

/Roger

--
http://www.456bereastreet.com/