The Man With His Guide Dog At The Tent Store wrote:
All this taalk about web standards got me thinking about the underling of links. As I understand it is that a person can turn on or off the underlineing of links via there browser options. If a person turns off the underlineing of links how would a web designer highlight a link? Is the underlineing of links standard knowledge?
If a user disables a default setting, then it's not really up to the designer to make up for that (if that was your question).
And yes, I'd say it's common knowledge with (sighted) users that an underline signifies a link. That's why it's not recommended to use underlined styles for other texts. Of course, underlines are not the only clue as to what is and isn't a link. In most cases, it depends on context. E.g. in a navigation bar that's in a traditional location (top or left), users would more likely than not come to expect text to be links, particularly if it's arranged in a list. In this case I'd posit that underlines are not needed.

Patrick H. Lauke
http://redux.deviantart.com