I asked the same issue a few days ago, the answer is on the following page

Mordechai Peller advised me to read the following
Another thing to check out http://positioniseverything.net/easyclearing.html

I read it, and decided to adopt a work around since I found the syntax of the various hacks mind boggling

hope this help

>>ss

Adam Hough wrote:

Link to my problem page (http://dampsponge.com/layout/layout1.htm)

I want to understand containing boxes and why some child boxes don't push their parent "down" the page. I have a div in this page called;

#container
border: 1px solid #000;
background: url(purlpeimage.jpg) repeat-y right;)

this div sits around 2 other divs;

1. #content (float:left;width:560px;)
2. #sidebar (margin-left:560px)

In FF, Opera & Netscape (leave out IE, there is an issue there with the #sidebar that i will resolve later) the border of#container is clearly visible. #conainer doesn't seem to "contain" the #content div (with its own nested divs), it instead only works off the height of the #sidebar div.

Why doesn't the wrapping div contain the child #content div like it does the #sidebar so that the black border wraps it all?

<name><adam hough>
<site><dampsponge.com>
<suggestion><dont dig to deep you might get burnt by the molten lava>

****************************************************** The discussion list for http://webstandardsgroup.org/

Thx Sam aka [EMAIL PROTECTED]

w: www.ss29.co.uk
t: 07958 322 010