From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Behalf Of Patrick Lauke
Sent: Monday, November 29, 2004 04:25
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: [WSG] W3C REFERER FIX?

> From: Sam Hutchinson

> this in itself is an example of a browser/OS affecting
> accessibility.

Actually, it's a good example of something else: "don't rely on any
outside data that's not under your direct control". Having a system
that purely relies on referers, and breaks down when they're not
available, is not very flexible. In terms of accessibility, it's a
prime example of what not to do (relying on referers, not the blocking
of them), as you can't guarantee that they'll be present at all...similar
to not relying on javascript etc.

> Cheers All. Will post a workaround when i've made it.

Short of changing the security settings of your machine, there's not
much you can do I think (hope, as it's been implemented for a reason,
and it would be ridiculous if web developers could simply override it).
Again, the best way is to use a server-side language and write out
the URL of the current page dynamically on the validation link's href.

Patrick
Patrick H. Lauke
Webmaster / University of Salford
http://www.salford.ac.uk