(cross-posted to css-d; apologies to those who see twice)

We're looking to scrap some unwieldy javascript menus and use
CSS-based ones instead. I have used suckerfish menus, so am familiar
with implementing and customizing them. However, this has me
challenged.

Attributes:
1. main items go across the page horizontally
2. second-level items appear underneath the top level horizontally
when hovered.
3. there are different numbers of items in each second-level list
4. the second-level would ideally self-space to fit the whole width
5. SOME second levels have third levels as well, but those drop
vertically underneath (not a problem on its own, but may throw a
wrench in the whole thing)

Here is the javascript version in action:
http://www.carnegieendowment.org/

An example of where there are three levels is About--> Who We Are.

Any ideas on general approach are much appreciated. I've been cleared
some time to research and tinker, but am not sure where to begin. I
realize that pure CSS is not feasible, and am willing to support it
more heavily with javascript if necessary.

Thanks!
Lisa