Patrick -

On Wed, 01 Dec 2004 08:41:27 +0000, Patrick H. Lauke
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Jonathan T. Sage wrote:
>
> > hear hear!  take a look at google with a term like '3 click rule'.
> > Use a splash screen, and you've limited yourself to delivering your
> > product in 2 clicks.  that's a challange.  Not to mention, if you use
> > something fancy like flash for the splash screen, 9 times out of 10,
> > I'm already done.
>
> although your reasoning is sensible in this case, I'd nonetheless like
> to point out that the '3 click rule' is one of those usability
> 'commandments'
> which is all too often used as if it was cast in stone...but it's not. It
> obviously depends on the specific site structure. Applying it
> indiscriminately
> is a bad thing, and would result - in complex sites - with a limited,
> squashed
> and sub-optimal site structure. Sometimes it does take 4, 5 or more clicks
> to get to the right place. The important thing is that the journey needs to
> be logical.

Absolutly.  I think even more important is the 1 click rule.  For
instance, if I come in from a search engine looking for specific
information, and I don't find it on that page (or even if it's buried
because the page is way too text-heay), I'm done.  Logical layout
always wins out.  That said, by the time I move past the splash
screen, I'm already getting punchy and ready to throw in the towel.
The hit after the splash has to be pretty amazing to get me interested
again.
--
Jonathan T. Sage
Theatrical Lighting / Set Designer