I asked the same question a few months ago. I suggest you check the archives. There was some good discussion.

~john
_________________________
Dr. Zeus Web Development
http://www.DrZeus.net
"content without clutter"

on 12/5/2004 11:06 PM Paul Farrell said the following:
Hi All,

Was after some opinions on forcing links to open in new windows.

Hoping this isn't off topic. Not sure that its strictly 'standards' but more
along the lines of accessability/usability, which go pretty much hand in
hand with standards anyway.

I read lots of articles saying that popups/new windows are the scurge of the
internet and the root of all things evil, and so have become reluctant to
use them.

My question has a few parts:

Firstly, should one force new windows? Following the principle of 'Let the
User' decide, I guess not. But, do the bulk of internet users know how to
open links in new windows or tabs ? Do they know they have a choice ? Can a
site designer still wield some control ?

There is also the scenario where the user may not be accessing the site in a
'windowed' environment.

Secondly, if one decides to open a link in a new window, is it an acceptable
practice so long as it doesn't hamper accessability ?

I have read an article on accessable popups/new windows at
http://www.alistapart.com/articles/popuplinks/, which illustrates how one
can go about it.

What are peoples' thoughts ?

Regards