Joe - like your work.

Point 2 about interested amateurs is more a commentary about the state of web design in general, not specifically those working in govt departments ;-)

More about the guidelines lacking teeth:

Cabinet paper is here.
http://www.e-government.govt.nz/docs/cabinet-paper-200402/chapter17.html

Um, so the consequences for not complying are? And which clause in the cabinet decision takes precedence:

3.2 should be compliant by next complete redevelopment.
3.3 must comply by Jan 1, 2006.

See 3.2 gives you an "out" with compliance.

Unfortunately, the guidelines don't extend to all those corners of cyberspace that government can influence (eg SEO's, intranets, local government, educational resources), although all others are invited to use the guidelines.

I also recall (vaguely, admittedly) a memo/press release from Trevor Mallard, which seemed a lot softer than the cabinet recommendation, but I can't find a reference to it anymore (can't recall if I saw it online or in paper).

Don't get me wrong, I am all in favour of the e-government web guidelines, they just don't quite go far enough IMO.

Also, some of hardcoded recommendations are already outdated, and so will present problems in the future (e.g. web safe color palette, use of keywords for font-sizing, exemption required for xhtml).

Terrence Wood.