I can say with 99% certainty the rendering is not IE nor Safari it is
Macromedia's own rendering engine. In C3 when you browse web pages you get
Safari or IE but when you click edit it flips to MM's own rendering engine.
C3 was an improved rendering engine over Dreamweaver MX 2004 and the upgrade
path continues.

C3 in edit mode renders pretty well, there are still a lot 'nice to have'
stuff in the bug base. Nothing is perfect though, and the Contribute team
has done a great job improving things.

The best way to get Contribute and Dreameaver to improve is for people from
places like here that care about standards to get involved on the Macromedia
Forums and bug them to let you into their beta programs. If there are more
voices asking for better standards support from rendering to code generation
the products will improve faster. Once thing I will say with absolute
certainty is that the Macromedia development teams listen to their
community. If their community is largely the 'how do I create a table?' type
then that is the product you get...

Jesse

--
Jesse Rodgers