On 22 Dec 2004, at 9:25 am, Kornel Lesinski wrote:

Today I've ran into problems with IE5.01/win:

dt.active + dd {}

was applied to all dd elements, even changing to:
*> dt.active + dd {}

didn't help - IE5 still stubbornly saw the rule.

If there is white-space around the '+', than IE5.0 applies the rule..... (IE5.5 is OK, it ignores the whole thing). Similarly, there are problems (again, IE5.0) with *>selector {}.
IE ignores the * and the > direct-child selector. Go figure...

And Patrick wrote
Still trying to find out which browsers mistakenly apply this. IE5/5.5/6
seem to rightly ignore the rule. The closest I came was the star-7 hack
http://centricle.com/ref/css/filters/tests/star-7/
but haven't found any reference to html>#blah type hack. Could it be a
hack that was misspelt?

I wouldn't know which UA selects html>#blah.

The closest filter I can think of is
* html>body #foo {}
which can be used to serve a style rule to IE Mac *only*.
Given the context mentioned by Helen, it might have been one of those 'be nice to Opera' hacks associated with the Tantek voice-family filter.

Philippe
---/---
Philippe Wittenbergh
now live : <http://emps.l-c-n.com/>