> From: berry

> Most of us have developped application using DOM  which maybe
> will not be
> valid with the new standard especially with XHTML 2.0 and DOM3.

So? Nobody will be forcing you to switch your site to XHTML 2.0 or
any other technology. The whole point of having DOCTYPEs is to identify
which standard a document was written for.
Browsers will use this to switch behaviour and parsing (as some already
do) and are more than likely to carry on supporting older standards;
only niche browsers with exclusive 2.0 support will come out in the
foreseeable future. We're looking at at least 5 or more years before
anything mainstream comes out.

> I think standard doesn't take in consideration some attribute
> which was
> being used by the browsers and which are not standard like
> the innerHTML
> (DOM). I real don't understand why they don't want to support
> it. It is so
> helpfull and it is quicker than using the w3c way.

In my view, innerHTML goes against pretty much the entire concept of the
DOM, which centers around accessing and traversing a document's tree node
by node. The fact that "it's quicker" is not a factor in deciding a
consistent standard...otherwise there would *be* no standard, but an
inconsistent mish-mash of "quick and dirty, but do the job" functions.

> How  are we going to convert site which using iframe and all
> the javascript
> coming with like the designmode wich is support now by bought IE and
> FireFox ?

You don't have to convert them now if you don't want to, or don't know
how. XHTML 2.0 will not magically make all XHTML 1.1 or HTML4.01 content
obsolete. As I said, you'd be hard pressed to find any mainstream product
which only supports XHTML 2.0 in the next 5 years or so (but yeh, I may be way
off with this prediction), and even then it will be a niche - no company
would simply say "from now on, our long established web browser will just
ignore anything other than XHTML 2.0", as it's obviously a chicken and egg
problem.

What designmode are you referring to, btw?

> Is the browser are going to follow all the recommandation of
> the standard ?

Some browsers will strive to follow them as closely as possible, while other
browsers (*cough*IE*cough*) will probably try to take their own view and
"extend" their behaviour in wonderfully non-standard ways...

> Even we don't agree with
> Microsoft some of
> their DOM function is very interesting so interesting that
> other Browsers
> adopted them.

Other browsers didn't necessarily adopt them because they're interesting,
but because IE has (had?) a de-facto monopoly for a long time, and a lot of
disingenious web developers have created some mind-numbingly IE only kludged
pieces of javascript/jscript. Had the other browsers not implemented at least
some of these functions, no large commercial sites (e.g. banks) would have
worked properly with them.

> Why the standard is not open for other
> function developped
> by other group when the function are effective and usefull?

Microsoft are part of the W3C, so they bring their views to the table as
much as anybody else. However, "open standard" doesn't mean that all things
can just be included: of course, there will be a group decision about whether
something should or shouldn't be included - and therefore, no matter how
"interesting / quick" a function or feature may be, if it doesn't fit in
with the standard, it doesn't get included. Simple as that. Otherwise, we
could simply make away with standards and call it a free for all.

> My last email "Changing Standard part2 !!!" I tryed to
> discuss about the
> standard and the future of the web but no one seems to be
> interested to
> discuss about that. Maybe it was not so signifiant (my
> english is not that
> good and this makes it difficult to explain all my ideas) or
> maybe people
> are more and more afraid of changements and prefer to follow the rules
> with-out asking if we are taking the right way.

As Mark pointed out already, everybody can join the W3C. Rather than taking
a "what are *they* doing" attitude, you should participate: join the relevant
email lists, working groups, etc. It's no good just looking at it from the
outside. However, as decisions are taken by a group, this doesn't mean that
all suggestions made will automatically be added to the spec, of course.

Patrick
Patrick H. Lauke
Webmaster / University of Salford
http://www.salford.ac.uk