Right on, Vicki. Additionally, conditional comments are not blocked in IE --as is JavaScript-- if the user has her Security setting at "High."
David

On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 01:15:12 +0800, Vicki Berry <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I don't believe Mordechai was suggesting anyone ignore IE -- rather
that, instead of bashing our heads against the proverbial brick wall
trying to make our standards-compliant sites work in IE, it may be a
workable option to use an alternative to said head bashing and css
hacks.  His suggestion was to use Javascript.

My own method of preference in these circumstances is the use of
conditional comments for IE.  I don't know Javascript, and with
conditional comments a) the page still validates and works as intended
in UAs that support standards, b) IE alone reads what's meant for IE
alone and furthermore I can target specific versions of IE, c) I can
still reference an external css file, and d) I can get IE to do what
it's told by writing fast, clean css in far less time than it takes me
to work out hacks.  :-)

It's not going to suit everyone and I'd be interested to hear people's
ideas for and against these alternatives.

Vicki.  :-)

-- http://www.dlaakso.com/