Wong Chin Shin wrote:
To get validated by Bobby,

Forget "validated by Bobby". It's really "to be accessible". Bobby is just a tool, and it's irrelevant whether or not your site passes its automated tests or not...anyway, rant over, now to the issue...

I need to have a <label for="xxx"> for each
<input> tag. I've got a 2 inputs, a drop down for salutation and a text
input for name that really don't want to have a separate label for each. Is
it possible/advisable for me to declare a label for both?

Yes, you do need a label for both. Without a label, if a blind user with a screenreader comes across the input, all they'll hear is "text input" without any idea what it's for. You can always hide the label itself with CSS (e.g. move it underneath the input, move it off screen, or even use display:none - with caution, as some screenreaders will then not recognise it...unless, from testing, that rule comes from an @import stylesheet)

--
Patrick H. Lauke
http://redux.deviantart.com