> From: Andy Budd
[...]
> What I'm saying is that tables are meant to display tabular data
> however a form is an input mechanism, not data itself. Thus in my
> opinion it would be incorrect to use a table to layout a form.

Yup, that's how I've usually looked at it as well.

> allowing people to see what
> they are supposed to enter by use of a label could hardly be
> described
> as clutter.

It can be visually if the table is there to let you input a few separate
rows in one go (i.e. a spreadsheet-like layout, with headers at the top,
and then 10-20 rows for separate entries).

Maybe this (extreme?) scenario could be solved by using heavily styled
fieldsets to act - visually - as rows that lay out the contained inputs
horizontally...I may have to have a play around with CSS later tonight,
I think.

But yes, as a general principle I'd avoid this type of multi-row form
anyway if at all possible.

Patrick
Patrick H. Lauke
Webmaster / University of Salford