Mani Sheriar wrote:

In general, I actually prefer fixed layouts to fluid. I have a wide
monitor and when divs take up all the available space on it they are
often unwieldy to read, not to mention less attractive.

Actually, I had forgotten about that, but you're right. I've seen it mentioned before that shorter lines are easier to read without losing your place. I guess it was that part of me that was rebelling because of the wasted space (for example. cnn.com where wasted space is unheard of). Just so used to seeing the page filled up that I forget it is more aesthetically pleasing to not have to take in a whole bunch of content.

Anyway, I’m sure we can’t satisfy everyone because we all have different
resolutions and screen sizes and preferences and whatnot.  Hey, at least
we aren’t designing for 600 * 480 anymore!

Can we get a huge "AMEN" on that?
_____

Charles Martin
http://www.webcudgel.com