Thing is, I need the "ol li ol" element to start at a specified number. The HTML4.01 spec says I can use the start="" attribute, but that its depreciated...

So what replaces the start="" attribute in XHTML1.1? I couldn't see anything in CSS about it.

Ignore XHTML/1.1. Removal of start is a mistake.

Start is dropped in favor of CSS2.1 generated content counters,
which are currently supported only by Opera.

Counters are really neat and powerful, but the problem is
that start number belongs to content, not presentation.

See: http://www.literarymoose.info/=/synopsis/ordnung.xhtml

-- regards, Kornel Lesiński