Dennis,

You have positioned all of your main divs absolutely. This takes them out of the normal positioning 'flow' of the page, which means that your footer will sit right at the top of the page.

You will need to find another way of laying out your page. Using floats works. (And a clearer works after a float.) Have you looked at Russ Weakley's Floatutorial? Take a look at the tutorials at the bottom of this page.

http://css.maxdesign.com.au/floatutorial/

HTH -Hugh Todd

A friend began a redesign using traditional 'lay it out in Photoshop and
slice it up into tables' design.

As a 'new' evangelist for standards and css. I convinced him to let me try
and help layout the page without tables, using CSS. Try as I might, I have
failed to get a footer at the end of the page.

I hacked the image off the original and tried placing it in it's own <div>
contained within the #wrapper ... following the #wrapper - - with a
clearing, without. I gave up.

I've read many tutorials ... torn apart other's code that's working,
searched for samples I can steal from and yet, each time, the <div> either
winds up in some odd spot, at the top, or buried. I need to keep the layout
fluid vertically ... [when he takes this back and starts plugging in samples
of his work, he may want 20 thumbnails on the wedding photo pages, and 100
on the stock photo sample page].

What am I forgetting? My inclination is that I need to specify margins as
specific length for the artwork ... but where? As a background? In the
#wrapper?

Any thoughts, links or help appreciated more than you know!

http://home.comcast.net/~dennismurphy/aback/temp.html

http://home.comcast.net/~dennismurphy/aback/aback.css

****************************************************** The discussion list for http://webstandardsgroup.org/