Hello, all.

Multi-message comments follow:

David R:
> AFAIK, the all the non-markup specific entities (ie: the ones that
> aren't: ", &, <, >) have been depreciated, if not
> removed, from XHTML2.0 since being based on XML means Unicode should
> be used.

While the W3C says "should not be normatively referenced for any
purposes whatsoever" about XHTML2, and knowing they're deliberatedly
breaking backwards compatibility, I'll kinda wait before it influences
what I do :)

Bob McClelland:
> The problem is two-fold: 1) how to do it in the first place, [...]

Global search & replace of ". " by ".  " maybe? I can't think of
any ill effect unless you use periods followed by a space for
something else?

Even if you already have ".  " in your text it will work.

> [...] and 2) how to allow for resizing with fluid layouts. I tried
> using    but in one case/one size the double-space moved
> to the beginning of the line and looked quite awful - so that's out!

That's exactly why I suggest ".  " and not "".  " or
".  " :)

Does anybody see any ill effect I don't see?

Terrence Wood:
> [...] it is a convention that comes from typewriter (and fixed width
> font) days. [...]

Wherever it comes from, all my English paperbacks and eBooks use it :)

> [...] Rendering a double space after a period requires an entity
> ( ) to display properly... a pretty hefty price code-wise.

If the text is so long to have plenty of periods, I don't think it
will matter that much. And then there's HTTP_ACCEPT_ENCODING=gzip.

--
Saludos,
 Antonio

http://www.mundoplus.tv/