Hi Dennis

> http://dma.shorturl.com/test/coffee.html ...
Attempting to merge several different rules to get the desired effect has
created a train wreck on the page.

I think it's had a severe hack-attack. As in, the style sheet looks like a hotch-potch of hacks. I'd go back to basics.

As far as I *can* make sense of it, you may have mixed up margins and padding in a few places. This might explain why (in Firefox - haven't looked in other browsers) there is a huge white gap at the top where presumably the coffee background should live.

Set the top margin of .content to 0 and increase top padding by the amount you took off (i.e. margin-top:0; padding-top: 265px). That should solve at last ~some~ of your problem, but I think there is room for further simplification (put the background on body, combine rules, make use of cascading etc).

The CSS reminds me of what my mother said about someone who had to take 17 different types of pills every day - about 12 of them were prescribed to combat side-effects of the others

Regards
--
Bert Doorn, Better Web Design
http://www.betterwebdesign.com.au/