At 02:50 PM 1/27/2005, Bruce Gilbert wrote:
I don't think w3c standards will allow mark-up this way, so I was
wondering the best way to mark up a header for a list. looking for
standards, and accessibility.

what I currently have is:

      <ul class="navlist">
        <h3>Most Requested</h3>
        <li><a href="#" title="How to Enroll"How to Enroll</a></li>

Bruce,

As you appear to realize you're not supposed to put an h3 tag (or anything except li) immediately inside a list. Therefore I suggest simply preceding the list with the head:

      <h3>Most Requested</h3>
      <ul class="navlist">

Because the h3 comes inside the identified div, you can specify it precisely in your stylesheet without any further markup, giving it and the ul the proper margins & padding to hug each other as closely as you need.

If for some reason you didn't want to use a head external to the list, you might be able to get away with:

      <ul class="navlist">
        <li class="head">Most Requested</li>

However this seriously compromises your semantics, losing the head tag and forcing a list item to pose as the heading for the list it's in, which it's not. As I see it, the items of a list all reside on the same semantic level.

Perhaps more sensible would be to make the heading an item in a top-level list, within which sits your navlist:

      <ul class="navlistbox">
        <li>Most Requested
          <ul class="navlist">
          </ul>
        </li>

Paul

PS: If you can't see the list item "How to Enroll" it's because you omitted the close-anglebracket after the title attribute. You typed:

        <li><a href="#" title="How to Enroll"How to Enroll</a></li>

****************************************************** The discussion list for http://webstandardsgroup.org/