This is a very general response to your first problem (the gap in ie).  I haven’t looked at your code, and there is very likely a better way to solve it, however …

I often find that I run into some small rendering difference such as this one in IE and on no other browser.  In these kinds of cases, if I can’t easily solve the problem, I often resort to a little targeting hack that looks something like this:

margin:0 !important;

margin:-2px 0 0 0;

IE ignores the !important declaration and obeys the second margin declaration.  More compliant browsers give a top-margin of 0 and IE moves the block up 2 pixels.

Hope this helps.

Mani Sheriar

Sheriar Designs | www.ManiSheriar.com

925|914.0741