Hey Bob

> Hey - she'll be expecting me to reduce my prices next year! :-)

Yeah well these two ways to approach it - give her more for less
because of the efficiency gains & hope you benefit in terms of greater
customer respect/loyalty or stuff around doing things the hard way so
you can spend enough yours to give her a big bill. Each to their own
:)

> Not relevant - small site, with folk increasingly being on a high speed
> line. Here in UK (where it's called Broadband) the user pays a standard fee,
> no matter how much/how long he/she uses it. (that's for small/simple sites,
> of course)

You haven't used dial up in a while yet have you? What percentage of
your users would you say are on broadband vs dial up at the moment?
And in two years?

> > - Improve User Experience
>
> How?  Speed?   Broadband again - makes it MUCH less of an issue.

No I think this is talking about general usability improvements. Case
in point - today I was sitting in a meeting room, with the sun
streaming in, demoing an app on a projector to some collegues - I
couldn't read the stuff up on the screen properly so I bumped the font
size - everything still looked & worked ok. The sites I was building 3
years ago were not that flexible.

> Turning that on it's head, what's left for a client to get excited about?

A lot IMHO.

> Yeah, absolutely.  That's the bottom line. Just thought I'd share the
> conversation for interest/provocation.

No worries mate - enjoy a good civil arguement (especially when I'm right :)

--
Mark Stanton
Gruden Pty Ltd