> In this instance, all the padding, margin, border, etc. were initially
set
> to zero so that shouldn't be the cause here. In the end I couldn't
find the
> cause of this IE issue, so I've gone with a table. I can always have
it
> changed if I discover the cause and a fix.

Hi Ian. I don't know if I've missed something, but in your original
example:

class="new">NEW</span></dd>
</dl>

and:

dt { float:left; }
dd { margin:4px 8px; }

The problem is in your margin for the dd's and nudging them out of line
with the dt's. Try "margin: 0 8px 4px 8px;" instead, or applying some
kind of combination of margins to the dt's (or first dt).

Vivabit Ltd., London
http://vivabit.co.uk

@media 2005
http://www.atmedia2005.co.uk