Ted Drake wrote:
How about this

One flew over the cuckoos nest should be on the top of everyone's list
of kid's books.<br /> In fact, it is
even more important than Joe Joe the Big ol' cornflake. <br />

style sheet br {display:inline; width:2em;}

I don't even know what this would work like, just throwing it out. It
would be easier to code and degrade better.

Degrade better? Maybe i'm being ultra-picky, but having a large space when styled and a line break when not styled does not sound like an equivalent alternative to me.

--
Patrick H. Lauke
http://redux.deviantart.com