On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 14:54:59 +1000, Gary Menzel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> There are plenty of accesible free webmail clients available.
>
> Explan to me why GMail has to make it's product accessible to everyone?

It's not that Google *has to* make GMail accessible, semantic,
minimal, and all the other qualities we admire in good website
building.  Of course they don't.

But should people stop criticising them and "shut up" (to quote an
infamous US cable shockjock )?  Not at all.

To me, it's a real shame that Google, which is creating some of the
most amazing web experiences around (Google Maps, Google Suggest,
GMail...), appears to be pretty much ignoring accessibility (in the
case of GMail, anyway).

Google has taken some huge steps forward in the world of browser-based
applications.  It has devised some amazing services, with great
usability - for those that can get access to the sites.

But it's made some poor choices along the way.  I reckon it's possible
to build those great web apps in a way that is degrades gracefully, is
accessible, has clean and lean markup, complies with standards, and
separates content from presentation.

... but I fear we are veering somewhat into a philosophical discussion here ...