Nope.  Please save the file in the same encoding as you declare it to be in
the meta statement.

This seems to be such a common question/mistake that the W3C is beginning to
write an article on the subject.

The basic ASCII set of characters (ie. the first 127 characters) use the
same bytes in iso 8895-1 and utf-8, but as soon as you include a copyright
sign, an accented character, etc, you will have problems.  Besides which, it
is always better to be consistent anyway, and doesn't cost much.

hth
RI