By chance, I've just finished building wireframes for a project in
XHTML & CSS. I found it a little more time consuming and as Andy
mentioned you can sit there and spend too long thinking about it. I
mean wireframes should be addressed separately from any visual /
production stages - your attention should be on boxing out the page in
a usable, accessible layout and not on why the content area sits 50
pixels below the side navigation. The complications of writing the
XHTML/CSS can stagnant the process.

Having said that, I now have the layout pretty much built and ready to
hang some visuals off it and a protosite there for testing and
content. I also now have the stylesheet set so I can adjust the values
for future use and the client was impressed. I think in future I will
sketch out the wireframes separately and then apply it to the
XHTML/CSS to use as a protosite.

Dave O'Brien

On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 09:54:38 +0000, Andy Budd <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Iva Koberg wrote:
>
> > What's stopping you from creating the prototype boxes in XHTML + CSS?
> > It has the added advantage of meaning that once you've got your
> > layout, you've also got your document structure. Just add the content
> > and remove the "border: 1px solid black;" properties and you're done.
>
> One of the points of using prototypes is that they are fast to build
> and thus desposable. If you're using XHTML/CSS prototypes there is the
> temptation to turn it into the final template. This either means that
> you spend too long thinking about the code/structure of a prototype
> that is likely to change, or you end up building in issues due to the
> fact that the prototype was built rapidly.
>
> I tend to use low-fi wireframes then hi-fi prototypes, usually output
> from the Phtoshop/Fireworks templates as regular table based HTML.
>
> Andy Budd
>
> http://www.message.uk.com/

Dave O'Brien

Venting my spleen at: