I've always been fascinated by the search results for for certain words on Google. Sometimes it is hard to tell - by viewing page source - why the top result is in fact the top result. For exampel, try searching for "Fried Chicken" on Google. Take a look at the top two results, and then take a look at their code. You'll discover that Number 2 is much worse than number 1, which is not very good to begin with. If clean code has anything to do with SEO, this is definitely a good case study. The third result has the worst coding of them all... I'm not sure how it even made it to number 3?

There is also a lop-sided brand competition between the top two ( see 1 & 2 in Google search results for "Fried Chicken" ), which probably has a lot to do with it as well.