john wrote:
I've never used "overflow" before, but I'm experimenting with
possibly using it as a means to contain a product listing within a
page design (essentially keeping the page itself relatively short,
but having the product listing scrolling within one of the divs).

My question is...since right now, I have both horizontal and vertical
 scrollbars on that div...how do I prevent the horizontal scrollbar
from appearing?

Basically by keeping everything inside the scrolling div slightly narrower than the div itself. Width: auto; on the content will usually fix that, if your layout allows.

Overflow: scroll; will give you both a vertical and a horizontal
scrollbars, no matter what.

Overflow: auto; will provide scrollbars where needed, so if your content
fits sideways but overflow in height, you will/should only get a
vertical scrollbar.

IE/win _may_ need something like this: overflow-y: auto; overflow-x:
visible (or hidden);. It may also need its own adjustments on content-width.

All the other variables in your layout may create the need for some
additional adjustments, but I can't see it, so...

Another possible question might be should I even use the overflow,
and instead use an iframe?  I know little about them, but it doesn't
strike me as very standards-compliant or good from a usability
standpoint.

Iframes addresses separate pages, and such a solution _may_ work well. Not my favorite though. Not much easier to control either.

regards
        Georg
--
http://www.gunlaug.no