Definitly,
There are a /lot /of things you find in th specs that are overlooked elsewhere. The DOM specs are about the only descent easy-to-download reference I've seen on DOM, I'd be lost without them.
Alan Trick

diona kidd wrote:

Chris,

I'm finding a great value in reading the w3c specs while working on a
current project. A few other resources are also helping me advance my
understanding of XHTML/CSS: the book 'The Zen of CSS Design',
alistapart.com and several other websites. Looking at work from other
developers and this list is also helping a lot. I often copy code posted
here into files and reverse-engineer it to see why something works
and/or what breaks it.

The time spent is definately proving worthwhile. My code is becoming
even more logical and much cleaner than before. I take a lot less
shortcuts and usually end up replacing old shortcuts with newer, more
compliant ones. The specs are solidifying my understanding of what
'compliance' is...

Mind you, I haven't read them front to back. Just whatever applies at
the time or what interests me.

Diona