-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Mark B
Sent: Wednesday, March 23, 2005 5:41 PM
To: wsg@webstandardsgroup.org
Subject: [WSG] Semi-newbie: advice needed

Hiya.

I'm an experienced HTML & CSS coder who has dabbled a little with the
XHTML/CSS way of doing things, but frankly, am a little lost. All the
tutorials I've found on the web assume that you are either experienced and
trying to do some advanced stuff, or are completely new and don't know CSS.
I'm looking for an online tutorial or book that will help me go from the old
ways to the new ways - help wean me off tables! :)

Can anyone offer suggestions? I'm sure many others on this list have been
down this path.

Cheers,

Mark

You've had a lot of good suggestions about the mechanics of non-tabular
design. You might also want to look at the philosophy of it. There is a
"why" to it. Understanding that "why" helps with authoring which in turn
addresses accessibility, ease of maintenance, neatness of code, download
times ,etc.

One place to start is with the w3c discussion of the semantic web:

http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/

That will give you the citation/link to the original Berners-Lee etal
"Scientific American" article. Additional statements by or about the
Berners-Lee concept can be found at:

http://www.mindswap.org/Science/

http://www.ercim.org/publication/Ercim_News/enw51/berners-lee.html

And if you want a simple introduction to RDF and N-Triples have a look at:

http://logicerror.com/semanticWeb-webdev.html

And for the over-the-top, insulting, aggravating but entertaining rant:

http://evpc.biz/personal/soapbox/morons_in_webspace

drew