On Apr 7, 2005 8:41 PM, Alan Trick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I'm just curious if any popular browser would display this page properly
> http://www.tarunz.org/~vassilii/html-is-an-sgml-dtd.html
> I though Moz would, but it disapointed me.

I thought it was common knowledge that no browser in common use (and
by common use I include every browser that has ever been above 0.1% in
usage statistics for the net) uses a true SGML engine. HTML as
employed on the web requires a tagsoup parser, or the majority of all
pages would experience problems. There are just too much error
correction that needs to be done in the HTML engine to allow a browser
to use a true SGML engine.

Look for example on all XHTML sent as HTML. The <element/> syntax has
a different meaning in SGML. You can have a look at
<uri:http://liorean.net/sgml-goodness.html> for an example of a
perfectly valid HTML 4.01 Strict document that no browser in common
use handles due to their lack of SGML parsing.
--
David "liorean" Andersson
<uri:http://liorean.web-graphics.com/>