Hi Patrick (and all),

I understand what you are saying about presentational names, but where does
one draw the line? I must say that I sometimes find it hard to 'read'
someone's markup because the div names are chosen badly. Certainly in this
particular case, my structure of:

container
menu
banner
heading
leftcol
rightcol
subhead
leftcol
rightcol
subhead
leftcol
rightcol
fullwidth
subhead
leftcol
rightcol
subhead
fullwidth
footnote

would confuse me terribly if I couldn't instantly see which stuff was on the
left etc.  Also, if you take this argument to it's extreme, you wouldn't use
names such as 'header' or 'footer', because you might want to change them
around later!  The worry is that declarations may end up being of the type:

container
menu
bar  (instead of header)
emc2
c2em

etc!

Of course, it is really hard to think of descriptive names which avoid
presentational character, but surely we all agree that names should help
readability of markup  (in most cases anyway :-)   ?

Anyone have thoughts/suggestions ?

Bob McClelland,
Cornwall (U.K.)
www.gwelanmor-internet.co.uk