Hi Dean,

You wrote:

... Norwenglish lines of text into numeric entities
(UTF-8) where needed.

What characters needs encoding into numeric entities when using UTF-8?

I try to avoid entities with exception for & < > " '

It is a small nuisance, of course. I do use them when I type (US English qwertyuiop keyboard) as I usually don't have a place to copy and paste. It does work quite well, though, when I copy and paste something I used entities or the numeric codes for into Outlook at work. Mostly at work I use a degree sign or a plus/minus sign but there is a lot to cover for foreign place and personal names that is not on my keyboard.

You're right. If you're using UTF-8 you only need to encode
the characters that are special in HTML/XHTML/XML (&, < and >).
Using numeric entities (or even named entities) in a UTF-8 file
for characters that are outside the range of ASCII is usually
a waste of space.

Does anyone have a good quick reference as to which characters are "good" on UTF-8? How about a faster or easier way to type them in? I wasn't aware (until this thread) that there was enough space for place name and personal name non-English characters in the UTF-8 standard.

Regards,

Gene Falck
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

****************************************************** The discussion list for http://webstandardsgroup.org/