On Thu, 21 Apr 2005 16:46:13 +1000, heretic wrote:
> Maybe architecture is different in america, but here in australia
> architects write the construction specification which has very little
> to do with how anything looks. Yes, aesthetics are a really
> significant part of the job; however so is function... and if they
> forget the wheelchair ramps they're in some serious trouble.

I think the architect attitude is present here in Australia too - I
completed the first phase of a project for an architect a little while
ago, and it was maturing quite nicely for them (somehow I had even
managed to avoid the Google Sandbox - I'd like to know how I managed
that!) with traffic growing, but apparently it wasn't speccy enough and
they found themselves a tafe student who would redo it in flash.
Unfortunately it appears to be completely inaccessible flash (where
they are residential architects and their biggest market segment is the
older generation :( ) (I should have seen the signs - they kept showing
me speccy sites from around the world done in flash with 8 pt type. Bad
me.)
Now it is dropping out of Google and they want to know why and how they
can fix it. *sigh*

It is bizarre how architects seem more concerned with form than
function when one would expect that if they stopped and compared it to
their own work they would see the analogies.  I think a common
comparison we make is to mention wheelchair access et al for public
buildings and yet, your typical architect will make their business
sites to impress their competition not their customer. :(

Lea
~ looking for a permanent position in Brisbane. Contact me for CV.
--
Lea de Groot
Elysian Systems - I Understand the Internet <http://elysiansystems.com/>