----- Original Message ----- From: "Lea de Groot" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
ah, but (from what you say elsewhere in your post) you are just
learning CSS layout - of course you are finding it more difficult.

I wouldn't say I am just learning CSS, I've been using it for a while. I would say I am not an expert either however.

I, on the other hand, haven't done full on table-layout in something
like 5 years now. I assure you, I don't remember all the little tricks
and hacks required for that and it would take me ages to make it look
just so.
Don't be confused between the effort of the learner and the effort of
the master :)

Lea de Groot
Elysian Systems - I Understand the Internet <http://elysiansystems.com/>

I had a look at your web site out of interest to see what it's like :-)

I'm using IE6 on Windows XP, 1024 by 768 resolution (probably a very common configuration).

There are some strange problems with your footer and copyright area. The copyright line is mostly hidden to the left of the green area. Only '005' shows. Also, when you mouseover your footer links, they jump to the left slightly. Sometimes your copyright line does show and then is hidden when you mouseover the links. A white gap also appears sometimes between the two green side columns and the footer as you scroll.

These are the sort of things that drive me nuts when designing with CSS! And to be fair you must agree these problems do not occur with table layouts? If this was my site I would then have the choice - research why these problems are happening, find the hacks to make them work, and then implement and test. Or convert to tables.

What often happens in these cases is that I do the research and the best option ends up being to use tables anyway, as it is the best and most reliable option.

I realise as well that many problems with the use of CSS can be laid at the feet of IE6. However, IE6 is the dominant browser and is what most of your clients and their clients are using. As long as that is the case then first and foremost, your site has to work in this browser.

Please don't mistake me for being anti-CSS. I am not. My designs at the moment tend to be a mix between CSS and table layouts. CSS is also great for text styling. I just feel it has some way to go before it is the definitive solution for layout, and that people are too quick to dismiss table layout.

Thank you for your feedback.

Here's a final thought for this email - one of the reasons that the internet became such a big thing is because it was so easy to create web sites, not necessarily good web sites, but easy nonetheless. The concept of sticking tags round things to affect how they behave is relatively simple.

Using tables for layout is also a fairly intuitive thing, so using them was not a problem for people making web sites.

However, I think you would agree that there is a steeper learning curve in learning to use CSS, which therefore means that less people are going to be able to create web sites. Is that a good thing or a bad thing?

Stephen