hi, thanks for your kind words and feedback peoples. have tried to quickly answer those main questions below:

re >> Just curious to know what the many lines of CDATA code achieve and the
reason for putting them inline?

no idea personally :) , but the dev guy says "it's definitely something we want to move to an external file at some point in the future"

re >> With Firefox I went to "Job Alert" and selected some industries....my cursor appeared somewhere above the textfield. Must have something to do with the css positioning of your fields.

ugly indeed. forwarded.

re >> Hate to be the bearer of bad news

dont worry about that. if i was worried about the possibility of bad news i'd never get anything done ;-)

re >> The time it takes to load the home page on dial-up is awful ...  I guess "agility of the design and
the speed" is a relative term, but it took close to half a minute to load the page.

half a minute is actually better than i thought it'd be first time load over dialup. seen far worse.
the css file is hefty, and theres several large 'sprite' images that hold navigation/tools/icon graphics. hopefully you'll find subsequent page loads much speedier with the obvious caching benefits.

re >> home page doesn't even pass automated Section 508 accessibility checks

well spotted! forwarded.

re >> The design doesn't quite fit at 800x600 in my browsers (Firefox and IE6 on Win2K Pro) - a little too wide.

are you using one of those 'sizer' apps that changes your browser window to a certain size that emulates a 800x600 display? be warned, browser chrome has changed in the last few years and often their calculations for width are out by a few pixels. try physically changing your screen res and maximising the window. you may not get a horizontal scrollbar.

re >> In Firefox, if I click on the dropdown for maximum salary, it does not let me select (it appears, then disappears immediately).  I have to hold my mouse down and drag to make a selection.  Annoying.

ugly indeed. forwarded.

re >> When you click on ADVERTISE. You only are left with a HOME tab.....Just a little thing that threw me off a bit :)

bit off topic for this list but very on topic for the site. cheers, forwarded :)

re >> I would love to know whether the actual careers engine was an in-house thing or third-party.

in house

re >> if your concerned about my obsolete browser--the layout breaks in ie5 mac

theyre working on it

-----

thanks again for all the other feedback, techy stuff forwarded on & i'm sure they'll look into it :)

i'll buy yous a beer at the wsg meeting tonight. oh hang on, theyre included in the cover change arent they? :) ok, i'll open it for you ;-)

pete