The section on using borders instead of pipes "|" in list navigation
shows how CSS can be used to visually provide the same feedback as the
pipe but leave the structure of the document untouched.

Yes, I've learned this trick some time ago.

My question last night was about this as an alternative: [...]
The only query last night was the loss of semantics...

Well maybe it'd be better to use :last-child pseudosetector (if it were supported) to avoid marking the last child as last by a class (it's redundant from a logical point of view; and the last element may change from time to time)

--
Jan Brasna aka JohnyB :: www.alphanumeric.cz | www.janbrasna.com