Drake, Ted C. schrieb:
... I wish I could set up a generic example, but
it would take me too long to do the entire page. I'll see if I can duplicate
the issue with just the highlighted section.

That would be a good approach.

Here's an update.  When I put height:1% on the hovers, the problem
disappears, however, now the content is disappearing when the mouse is
clicked. I tried putting (a:active {height:1%}) and/or (a {height:1%}) with
no effect.

As mentioned before, we can't analyze it without an URL to a test case.

IE does reflow the container and its childs on a :hover-transition with any change of the background. I have written that somewhere.

If I solve this, do I get to name a new hack/bug after myself?

When someone describes a bug, he usually does try to summarize the problem in a few words or some kind of abstraction like "The Guillotine" which fits in a <h1>. But I think there is nothing wrong with "Drake's Bug" in principle. For some reasons, I personally wouldn't prefer this naming, but probably "Chaos Bug" would describe the named situation in IE6 correctly for sure.

The hack might get the name of the author/describer of the original, but by convention others do name it. But in this case, the hack was developed some years ago: for a better understanding (since I've read someone refers to the "holy" hack the other day), see "Ten Questions for John Gallant":
"The well-known Holly hack was invented by this same Holly Bergevin. She prefers to stay out of the spotlight, so I had to insist we call it the "Holly hack", over her objections I might add. Unknown to us, Doug Bowman had also come up with the idea, but as he had not yet published it I was able to affix Holly's name to the hack. Anyway, it sounds so much better than "The IE-improper-box-enlarging-to-trigger-layout hack".
" (cited from http://webstandardsgroup.org/features/john-gallant.cfm a good read about the bughunting process, or, the art of bughunting.)

I think when you have developed that height:1% hack too, it's a great piece of work. But: when you don't bring it to paper, your bug description will be lost like the timemachine, fuel-less car and p. mobile.

One important thing is to try your best (shame on me) to make it clear to understand under which circumstances the bug appears, so you'll have to sit down, read the relevant sources, and compile a nice demo after some testing.

Ingo