Kerri McKenna wrote:
Hi everyone,

I realize that "/* */" are used to add comments to CSS, but I'm not
clear on what "/* \*/" means, or what the single asterisk is used for.

Kerri

PS - I've only just joined the list so I do apologize if this is
perceived as off topic.

-----------------------
Excerpt from Ted Drake:

But, it looked horrible in Firefox, so I dropped the two rules down to
my > trusty Holly Hack section.
/* \*/
* html #mainnav li  {
    height: 1%;
            float:left;
    }
* html #mainnav li a {
    height: 1%;
    }
/*  */

Hi :-)

The \*/ part looks somehow like a way to mess with a specific browser's parser so that certain parts of the CSS are ignore, although I have to admin that I don't know what browser actually falls for this.

Normally a singe asterisk is used as a wildcard in CSS. If you have for example this rule:

#menu * {
border-left: solid 2px #000;
}

...it will add a black 2px left-border to every element within the #menu.

I hope this helps :-)

MfG, Horst