I have a sound file that my client wants me to put on his web site. It is a radio advert that they currently have running.

The format of the file is m4a (mp4). I have used a program that converts it to mp3 or other formats if required.

What is the best way to go about including it on a web page, and keeping it standards compliant (to at least HTML 4.01 Transitional)? Including sound files is not something I often do, you'll be glad to know. I will also NOT be setting it to start playing itself, it will be up to the user!

Should I keep it in the m4a format or use mp3 or use something else?

I got it working with the following code:
<object width="160" height="16" classid="clsid:02BF25D5-8C17-4B23-BC80-D3488ABDDC6B" codebase="http://www.apple.com/qtactivex/qtplugin.cab";>
<param name="src" value="media/advert.mp4">
<param name="autoplay" value="false">
<param name="controller" value="true">
<embed src="media/advert.mp4" width="160" height="16" autoplay="false" controller="false" pluginspage="http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/";>
</object>

However, it doesn't work in Firefox. I need something that will work in different browsers and different platforms.

Does anyone know the best way to do this?

Thanks,
Stephen