Hi,

 I have the opportunity to hire two people in the next few weeks to help me with my one-man-band web development business.

Problem is, these two know only the most basic aspects of HTML and don't know anything about CSS or web standards.

Problem also is that I can't afford to hire anyone currently proficient at these two disciplines.

Learning CSS was a painfully slow process for me (as I never had time to concentrate on it, or standards coding, because I was always doing everything else as well). To this day, I still wouldn't consider myself anywhere near expert level: The moans and groans and "geez, why did that happen" is pretty much behind me, but I'm no expert.

Since I'll still be too busy to sit with them for hours at a time teaching them the little that I know, I'd like to have some opinions on the best way to bring two absolute newbies up to CSS/Web Standards proficiency without me having to be at their elbow every step along the way.

By proficiency, I mean that I can give them a Photoshop design comp, and they will be able to create an XHTML code foundation as well as a CSS style and positioning spec without too much whining and head-scratching.

My plan is to get them completely compeletely trained in these areas before letting them dive into any real project development.

All comments welcome and greatly appreciated.

Two things come to mind. If you are in Australia, keep an eye on this list for an announcement soon about standards development workshops by the people who bring you Web Essentials (including the founders of WSG). Keep July clear if you are interested people :-)

Also, at the risk of shilling, check out these courses, that are very highly regarded, have been done by thousands of people around the world, and were developed in Australia by people who have been involved with Web Standards since the very beginning

(oh yeah, that includes me)

We also have a lot of very useful free training resources too,

thanks

john

John Allsopp

style master :: css editor :: http://www.westciv.com/style_master