G'day

> OK, I'm getting a bit confused and I need help from someone with a clear
> head!

I haven't got one of those - it's full of grey matter (some of it sticking out ;-) However...

> What surprises me is that the non flash content in the Jessey
> example works when it's not IE you are using (certainly when
> it's Opera 8, which is the  only browser I use with plugins
> blocked).

No surprise really...

    <!--[if !IE]> <-->

To browsers other than IE it's just a one line comment.

<!-- comment -->

> I'm also confused by the fact that the browsercam
> report shows that, in IE6,  the flash plays even when the
> player is not installed!

Suggest you take that up with BrowserCam - someone accidentally installed Flash on that machine?

In IE with high security settings (to block flash, among other things), I get only ONE "flash not installed" message. Perhaps IE in high security mode doesn't honour IE conditional comments.

Try it with this version, which has two different "not installed" messages: http://www.bwdzine.com/flash.html

If this is true, and all else being equal, the simpler version may be better, as IE users with high security settings still get alternative content.

Regards
--
Bert Doorn, Better Web Design
http://www.betterwebdesign.com.au/