> What would be wrong with doing something like this?
>
> <h3>Comment Title</h3>
> Posted by foobar on foobar
> Comment text

Nothing 'wrong', as such. The <div> surrounding the 'comment text'
paragraph is superfluous and could be dropped, but semantically it's
pretty sound.

The semantic question to ask there: "is each individual comment really
a subsection of the page?" (which a header signifies). The answer
could be yes or no there, I err on "no" but I see how people could
differ.
If you were to mark up three comments using your above example, you
have 3 different sub-sections in your page structure.

Ultimately, the reason for preferring a definition list is that the
spec says you can use it to structure a dialogue and since that's what
comments are, it does rather make sense.
Using a definition list describes everything you've achieved with <p>
and <h3>, but /also/ makes it very clear that the comments are a
related sequence. Arguably a <dl> also describes a much closer
relationship between the comment title (<h3> --> <dt>) and the
information (date , author and comment text (all <dd>)), than a
heading and following paragraphs.

There's not much in it really, and there comes a point when choosing
one highly-optimised semantic structure over another highly-optimised
semantic structure shouldn't matter. Both are pretty good.

Ben