I wanted to get my paragraphs to indent on a site so I tried the most
intuitive thing:

p:first-line{padding:1em}

It did nothing. I tested a couple other things to make sure I was doing
the right thing, but it appears that I can only change the font values.

Then I tried this:

p:before{float:left;width:1em;height:1em;}

didn't work either. I toyed around with it a bit and it looks like
float:left doesn't work on :before stuff.

So finally I tried this:

p:before{content:'mmm';visibility:hidden;}

and it works as expected. This is something of a hack, but as far as I
know, it should work on all CSS2 browsers. Any better suggestions on how
to do this?

Alan Trick