From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
On Behalf Of Hope Stewart
Sent: Monday, 4 July 2005 1:54 PM
To: Web Standards Group
Subject: Re: [WSG] font size in a table

On 4/7/05 1:23 PM, "Webmaster" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> This was bugging me for ages too. I don't know _why_ it does it but my
> workaround to-date has simply been to implicitly set font-size for p,
> td and li. My table and list text usually display larger when I only
> set the font-size in the body element.
>
> I've asked this question before but is there a "standard" way to set
> the font size across all elements (irrespsective of inheritance)?

Thanks for your input. I had set the font-size for p ul and li and had used
these tags within the td tags, but it still did not work.

Russ supplied the answer for me: I was using the wrong doctype. I've
changed:

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"> <html>

to:

"http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd";>

and all works beautifully. I don't fully understand all the components of
doctypes, but the one I'm now using is working. Compare
http://hopestew.customer.netspace.net.au/index.html

to:
http://hopestew.customer.netspace.net.au/index2.html

The *only* difference in the code of these two pages are the first two
lines, yet the font size behaves itself in the table on the second page
because of the doctype.

I don't know whether is would help in your case, but it created a miracle in
mine!

Hope