Looks like it's in the HTML 3.0 draft:
http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/html3/deflists.html

You're right - no mention of it in 4.01, although both IE and FF support it.  I wonder why they got rid of it.

-Nate

Nathan Rutman ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
Corporate Communications Designer

Solvepoint Corporation
882 South Matlack Street, Suite 110
West Chester, PA 19382
800.388.1850 x1208
484.356.0990 (fax)
www.solvepoint.com

Joseph Lindsay wrote:
Hi Ted, can you give me the URL where you found that?  As far as I can
tell from the HTML 4.01 DTD (i'm happy to me corrected) the <dl>
element must contain 1 or mor <dt> or<dd> elements, and can't contain
any other elements (although the <dt> can have inline elements and
<dd> can have block and inline elements).  I can't find any reference
to a <lh> element in the current specs.