True it probably isn't needed in most cases, except where it may be included in an html file that is not utf-8 and the CSS file actually contains utf-8 characters. In fact, according to w3c the character encoding is usually reliably determined form the first few bytes of the file anyways [http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS2/syndata.html#q23]. Elsewhere it is said CSS files inherit the charset from the HTML file in which they are included, or default to utf-8.

kind regards
Terrence Wood.