David Pietersen wrote:
Mordechai is totally right in that it is hue that makes it difficult, but it is only within the specific context of combining the two (either Red/Green or Blue/Green). I had a series of progressively more advanced CB tests when I went to join the Army, and ended up with a rating of 19, with 20 being the worst (on their scale anyway). I can totally see the difference between Red and Green, and in 99.9 percent of the time it makes no difference to anything. The only time I notice it is when someone wants me to look at the pretty red bird sitting in the green tree (unless it moves, I will NEVER find it), or once when I was driving past a field everyone wanted me to stop and take photos and it took me 10 mins to work out it was an apple orchid in full bloom- all I could see was a bunch of boring trees. The reason you can't be an electrician is that if there is a red wire in a bundle containing a lot of green ones, there is little chance you would see it. I can't ever recall a website that caused me grief. If I have come across one, it would have still been usable for me, I just would not see it that same way as the author. dp.

This is a site I always show people to illustrate red/green colour blindness:
http://centricle.com/ref/css/filters/

I find it extremely difficult to tell the red cells from the green cells. I think it's a good example of how not to use red and green - ie together and in small areas. The site's still usable (although less usable for me than normal sighted people), but if it relied *only* on red and green to signal differences, it would be just able unsuable.

Mike